Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, December 20, 2010

Jingle Bell Blog Fest: Danielle Thorne

 Click here and tell us what is a staple in the Islands for a chance to win a  $50 Amazon or Barnes and Noble gift certificate.

 IF SANTA WAS A PIRATE…

…I like to think he would have worn a furry red tricot, although the term "tricot" didn't come into use until long after the Golden Age. If those Caribbean swashbucklers so dear to my heart even believed in St. Nick, he would have been known as Sinter Klaas. This is my guess, as Dutch settlers brought over the legend with them to the New York area and they, too, were some of the first to explore, settle, and conquer the islands of the West Indies. What would a pirate have wished for, for Christmas? Those naughty boys made do with what they could find but clothes, coins, livestock, and plenty of rum was the order of the day as long as they had the supplies they needed to sail their ships. I can almost see the lists now….

Dear Santa,

I been a good pirate (but a bad boy). Please bring me extra yards of cordage, canvas fer me sails, a new pistol, a hogshead of rum, and oh, the Guvna's head.

Love,
Stumpy

One lingering legacy from the pirates of the Caribbean is the sweet flavor of rum used to enhance so many of our holiday dishes today. Rum Cake is still a Christmas staple in the islands, along with their beautiful renditions of popular Christmas carols. Try out this family favorite recipe from Keeley G. of Las Vegas, and celebrate like a pirate!

RUM SAUCE FOR BREAD PUDDING

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/2 cup sugar

  1 cup milk

  3 tablespoons white or dark rum

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix together the sugar and cornstarch, and stir into the butter. Pour in milk, and cook, stirring frequently until the mixture begins to boil. Continue cooking until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in rum. Serve warm over your favorite bread pudding recipe.

Keeley also suggests trying this sauce over cheesecake. Yum!


Happy Holidays!
Danielle Thorne

Find out more about Danielle and her sea-themed romantic adventures at www.daniellethorne.jimdo.com

18 comments:

Miss Mae said...

Um, Danielle, surely somewhere in there they would've wished for a comely damsel? (or wench?) LOL

You look super in that dress! :)

Danielle Thorne said...

Hahaha, thanks. That's my yearly Halloween costume to wear as I help give pirate tours with my piratey neighbors at Swansbrough Manor (Swansbrough Manor dot come).

Danielle Thorne said...

Hey Visitors! Don't forget to check out the RUM sauce recipe and post your answer to what is a staple in the Islands...for a chance to win great prizes from LASR!

Paty Jager said...

Great post! I love pirates. And Rum was a staple in the Islands. One day I hope to visit a Caribbean Island.

Danielle Thorne said...

Hi Paty,

Visiting the Caribbean should be on everyone's bucket list. Just saying!

Linda Swift said...

Hi Danielle. Great post. And I am so happy to get a recipe for Rum Sauce. Rum is a staple in the islands, and when my husband worked in St.Croix, we brought home a bottle of Cruizan rum which we still have! Wonder how it would do for the recipe??? You looked charming in your costume. I think in your "other life" you were a prirate's lady!

Danielle Thorne said...

Hi Linda, thanks for visiting. It must have been quite an experience to live in St. Croix. Wonderful.
I don't know about past lives, but I do have an ancestor, a great-grandparent way back when who was lost from the sloop, Dragon, off the coast of Rhode Island, in a storm. I think of that fellow a lot when I have the chance to get to sea.

Gail Pallotta said...

What a fun post! Congratulations on all of your books. By Heart and Compass sounds so good.

Judy said...

I really enjoyed your post!! I will definitely use your recipe. Happy Holidays!!

E.A. West said...

Awesome post, Danielle! I LOVE Stumpy's letter to Santa. Wonder if being a good pirate makes up for being a bad boy? LOL :)

Anne Patrick said...

LOVE THE DRESS! Post was great too. Rum sauce and cheese cake...yummy.

Danielle Thorne said...

Hmmm..does being a good pirate make up for being a bad boy? Great question!

Sherry said...

The recipe sounds great I'm going to have to give it a try.

sstrode@scrtc.com

Celia Yeary said...

Ah, Danielle, you make a comely pirate's...what? Girl? Mistress? Sweetheart? Love the costume, for sure. And oh,I once ate bread pudding with whiskey sauce and whipped cream at a Gulf side restaurant. I could barely walk to the car! Celia

Celtic Chick said...

Your 'If Santa was a Pirate' caught my attention and made me click on the link.

Enjoyed reading Stumpy's letter to Santa.

robynl said...

Rum Cake is still a Christmas staple in the islands,

yourstrulee(at)sasktel(dot)net

*sent my answer yesterday via the form.

StephB said...

Dani, Awesome spin on the Santa & pirate theme. And the rum cake sounds fab. Thanks so much for sharing! I have a feeling "Stevie" the Pirate over this way in California would wish for a lime from Sinta Klass.

Smiles
Steph

Dina said...

the thought of Santa as a pirate is interesting, lol