Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

GUEST BLOG: C.L. KRAEMER

Not Another Dragon Book…

C. L. Kraemer

Wait! Wait! Wait! Before you scroll down to the next blog, hear me out.

I said the very same thing before my dragons took over my writing life. I like a good story with meaty characters and enough twists in the plot to keep me turning the pages until I’m done. My thought was, ‘What could I possibly do with dragons that hasn’t been done previously?’

A fair question. If Jane Yolen-- Pit Dragon Trilogy, Anne McCaffrey-- Dragonrider series and Mercedes Lackey-- The Griffon Series haven’t covered various mythical creatures with expertise, what could I offer they didn’t?

My own voice and those of my dragons. This series began life as a short story for an anthology, a take on Sleeping Beauty in reverse. My husband, who has issues with long books (he has ADD), was intrigued by the story and commented he thought it would make a terrific full-length book. Great! Just what I needed to add to the thirty-plus list of books I want to write.

But the story nagged at me and about 2007, I put my tukus in my office chair and began to write Dragons Among Us.

There were interruptions:  completing a mystery called Cats in the Cradle of Civilization, another mystery titled Healthy Homicide and a faerie story for an anthology called The Lending Library. But my dragons persisted. I set about to write a book that would set the stage for a trilogy—maybe. What eventually happened when the period was put on the last sentence of the last page was the base book for a series of dragon-themed stories, at last count--nine.

Dragons Among Us starts in the Northwest of the United States with the eruption of Mt. St. Helens on May 18, 1980. 

Fast forward to 2010: Aleda Sable is a grad student getting her master’s degree in journalism and paying bills by working at a local “ragsheet” newspaper in Portland, Oregon. She’s all set to take her yearly vacation to the mountains and combine camping with a little work by searching for Bigfoot, her particular specialty, when her editor drops a fuzzy photo on her desk showing the blown out Mt. St. Helens and a dark silhouette in the corner. He’s been convinced by a “source” that what he is seeing is a dragon.

Everyone knows dragons aren’t real but to keep her boss happy and get on her way, Aleda agrees to keep her eyes open for this particular species in the mountains. What ensues is a story of personal journey, archeological and biological discovery and, of course, love.

Dragons, shape shifters and humans all populate the pages of Dragons Among Us and each is trying to find a way to fit in the world and guarantee their continued survival on this third rock from the sun.

I’m currently finishing another faerie story titled Meadows of Gold for the second anthology and will be starting the second and third books in the dragon series with the hope of releasing another in June 2011. 

Dragons Among Us is available in ebook and Print on Demand from RoguePhoenixPress.com.

Healthy Homicide, The Lending Library and Meadows of Gold are also available from RoguePhoenixPress.com.

Cats in the Cradle of Civilization is available from Wingsepress.com.

C. L. Kraemer has been a gypsy all her life. From her military child beginnings to her might-not-get-this-chance-again attitude after she left home, she’s seen most of the continental United States as well as Hawaii and Alaska. She hopes to travel the world but is content to stay close to her family in the Northwest in Oregon—for the moment.

For detailed information, visit her website for background on her books and to follow her travails in writing.

www.clkraemer1@gmail.com - for comments or questions

No comments: