Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

GUEST BLOG: THERESA STILLWAGON

Before I sold my first book:

My husband's getting tired of me writing all the time. He says I haven't been paying enough attention to him lately, and I agree. But I love to write. The thought of not writing this morning left me on edge as I spent time with my sweet husband. All I could think about was what I'd write when I got the chance to get to my computer again. I think that's how I know I'm a real writer now, even though I still haven't sold any of my stories, because of that edgy need to be writing.

When did I first truly feel like a real writer? I think I started feeling like a real writer when I started telling my friends that I was writing a new manuscript. I asked one of my nurse friends at work a medical question, and she was truly helpful. I thought if I'd allowed anyone other than my husband to know that I wanted to be a writer they would laugh at my dream. I was wrong.

I still remember the moment I first felt like a real, live writer. Believe it or not, it was at work while I was going to the bathroom. I was thinking about my book and it hit me--I'm a writer.

Nice feeling.

A writer writes, no matter if anyone ever reads her words. She writes because it’s in her blood, in her heart, in her soul. She writes because life only makes sense when she's creating a new story and bringing to life new characters to populate it. She writes because she has to, because she can.

If you have the desire to do something, do it. Don't let anyone ever say you can't do it.

I’ve just sold my fourth book.

One thing did change since I first wrote this blog entry. I sold four books, to three different epublishers. And I also edit for a fourth one.

And more importantly, my husband isn’t so tired of my writing.

Like I said earlier, if you have the desire to do something, do it. Don’t let anyone ever say you can’t do it.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Theresa, I so agree with you about having to write. You have to do it no matter what.

It's funny about your husband because my hubby was all for me to write until I became published. Now, he wants me to quit and give him more time. lol

Four books! That's great, Theresa.

Celia Yeary said...

Theresa--good for you that you didn't give up. I think we all feel as you do, but it's important to have another life. One of my dearest friends tells me--remember, dear, there is another life out there.
My husband is the closest person I have in my life, my best friend--even though I do have many friends and am quite social--and he deserves the time I devote to him.
good look with all your books! Celia

Chicki said...

Nice post, Theresa! Of course I can relate. I'd rather write than do just about anything. My husband has just the opposite attitude. He's rather me be busy doing something other than bugging him to pay attention to me! So now we've finally balanced out ...

Sharon Hamilton said...

So many things to relate to here. I'm sure your husband now understands the benefits that come with being married to a romance writer. I know mine does! Good luck with the sales.

Hales said...

I so can relate! Mine says it's a hobby and since it's not a big money maker it doesn't interest him, although I make a small income right now from it lol. I'm in it for the long haul and he just has to deal. he has his vid games for after work and I have my writing. I don't complain about all the time he plays his games so he shouldn't complain about my computer usage.

Theresa said...

Hi Theresa :)

I don't have a husband. But I do have family and friends who don't always like it because I write.It's hard to balance sometimes, but I've learned to not give it up completely. :)

By the way, doesn't he realize that all Theresa's are perfect, and therefore your wanting to write is the perfect thing to happen whenever you want to write? (grin).

Four books gets me in awe of you - I have yet to publish one.

Keep up the good work.

Theresa