Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

GUEST BLOG: Michelle Picard

This blog is part of a Virtual Book Tour for Surviving Eden, the second book in Michelle Picard's Eden Court series. In addition to the being entered into our weekly contest, comments on this post will be eligible to win a special gardening set consisting of a hummingbird feeder, nectar concentrate food for the feeder, and several packets of garden flowers. You can get more chances to win by following her tour...dates can be seen here.

“Change is inevitable, struggle is optional.”

I saw this on a bumper sticker last week and it struck me as completely true. And in real life I strive for reducing the struggle and learning to accept, go with the flow, find the mindfulness in all my crazy moments and experience it crisply as I go along for the ride. The ride’s going to happen after all and if I kick and scream against it I might miss something crucial. But should this hold true for my stories and my characters? Without the struggle there’d be nothing to my books.

I’m on my month long virtual blog tour to celebrate the release of Surviving Eden, the second in my Eden’s Court series out at Crescent Moon Press. The series premise runs like this: what if a modern woman suddenly learns she is heir to the throne of a magical realm hidden in our world and is the most powerful magical being on the planet? As with any stories worth their salt, tension and conflict characterize the entire journey, with a few soft moments to catch your breath thrown in between. My first person narrator, the heroine Rachel, struggles against her new role, her new magic, her soul mate attraction to the hero, her destiny, her unhappy past, her magical nemesis, etc… You name it she struggles against it. I’m pretty good at writing characters’ internal angst and she has it big time.

As I look forward to starting to write the third book in this series, continue the story of Rachel and her half-angel/half-demon lover Gabriel, I’ve set a new goal for myself--find more moments for Rachel to experience this mindfulness. She deserves it after all. The surprisingly wonderful thing about being a writer is that we mature as we finish each novel and start the next. Time has passed. We’ve learned some small bit about craft or our writing style and along the way we’ve maybe matured in our individual lives. And my characters are supposed to be growing too. So as I consider improving the quality of mindfulness in my life, I realize I won’t be demolishing the tension, conflict and struggle in my stories if I allow Rachel to pursue this same quality as well. When it boils down to it, rarely does a person live mindfully 24/7. In real life we have a fleeting moment of peace and connectedness and being centered in the present before the chaos of life breaks through and our thoughts, hopes, worries, irritations return. The stuff of our personal struggles. But if I can capture a few moments of mindfulness for Rachel in this next project, then the reader will experience it as one of those in between breather moments, experience the precious clarity and beauty Rachel might find, and appreciate the story even more when she’s dragged back into the drama of her story arc. It creates a contrast all its own. And maybe working on describing these mindful moments on my computer screen will benefit my personal goals.

So I’m going to throw out the story blurb for Surviving Eden. I must say I enjoyed writing it. I miss Rachel and Gabriel. If you like what you see visit me at my sites:,; and on Facebook at:
And Twitter at:

There are links to buy my books at both my website and at The series is available in both e and print formats.

Have a mindful day.

Rachel Rieh wields enough magic to make a goddess jealous, or so she learned three weeks ago when she thought she was an ordinary, reclusive, and short-tempered gal from Boston. In this second story of Eden’s Court, Rachel, now the new ruler of the Kesayim, (angels, demons, dragons, faeries, vampires, shapeshifters and witches–the goddess-created protectors of mortalkind) finds herself faced with the task of stopping vampire hunters from annihilating the vampire race. Her lover, Gabriel, half-angel, half-demon, stands by her side to help if she can escape her obsession with protecting him at all cost.
Earth is already on the verge of destruction within six months because magic is out of balance. The new threat to the vampires destabilizes the situation more. In her race to save the vampires, Rachel meets Lillith, goddess, creator of all Kesayim and humans, and the one with all the answers to Rachel’s problems. But is the cold-hearted goddess intent on changing Rachel into her image the greater threat to Rachel and everyone she loves?

No comments: