Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, September 3, 2010


Over the years I've had the honor to work at a number of occupations: nurse, malpractice insurance investigator, forensic nurse examiner, victim advocate, and now―the best job ever―Nana to Meredith, Ashlin, Owen and Kieran.

Even though I sometimes wish they'd remain in the closet, the years I spent working in the Operating Room and ICU, later advocating for victims of sexual violence, have contributed significantly to the voice of my writing. You can't spend thirty years playing loyal serving maid to fast-handed surgeons, or haunting police stations, Emergency Rooms, and criminal courts without learning first hand about rampant misogyny, overwhelming apathy, or overt bigotry.

Under my primary author personality, Kat Henry Doran, I am privileged to to have Try Just Once More, a contemporary romantic suspense set in the Adirondack Mountains of Northern New York State. For that story, I brought in my years as a nursing supervisor to give the heroine something to do besides twiddle her thumbs while the hero stormed around trying to figure out why someone wants the heroine and her children dead.

Drawing the hero was easy; I just thought about a cop I once [in my younger, much thinner years] lusted after. Plus, he helped me with a crucial scene in the book―unfortunately not the love scene [darn it]. To learn more about mounted patrol officers and their horses, this same officer connected me with an equine veterinarian who allowed me to accompany her on rounds. I spent a really fun afternoon with the mounted patrol unit of the Rochester Police Department.

For Raising Kane, one part of the “Out of the Dark” anthology from Wild Rose Press, due out later this month, I used my experience organizing marches protesting violence against women. My heroine, an award winning television journalist, is covering a protest march when it turns violent. The police, who arrived too late to stop the majority of the damage, arrest everyone still standing, figuring God will sort it all out in the end. Enter the hero, the Public Information Officer for the police department, whose job it is to put a spin on the event and make the cops look good. Fortunately, the heroine comes equipped with film at eleven.

As Veronica Lynch, my alternate writer personality, I used the same town where Raising Kane is set for Those Who Wait, a short romance scheduled to be released August 28, 2010 by the very kind folks at Decadent Publishing. Easton is a small city set on the shores of Lake Ontario, Queen of the Great Lakes. I again used my time as a victim advocate to show how a vocation, no matter how selfless and worthwhile it might be, can possess the power to wreak havoc on a personal relationship if both partners aren't careful. TWW is my first success with writing shorter length fiction and I'm very grateful to Decadent for taking a chance on me.

I was raised in a religion which employed men who dressed in black suits and wore their collars backward, and women who wore long black dresses with starched bibs, and large wing-like things on their heads. We called them penguins, or sailboat sisters if the hat was large enough and, of course, aerodynamic. I like to put the clergy in my stories. I'm warped that way. Of course it helped that I had two uncles who served more than fifty years in the priesthood and a penguin cousin who gave me tons of insider information, right down to how to get around the silence of the confessional booth in Try Just Once More.

For my last bit of brilliance, I'd like to talk about setting, which I believe should be treated like another character who deserves equal care in development. Currently, I am involved in a series with WRP titled the Class of 85, as in have you ever wondered what happened to the prom queen or the class nerd or . . . the boy most likely to spend time behind bars?

I was there at ground zero when the series was in its infancy and, with the help of two other writers, invented the town where the reunion will take place. We took a historic neighborhood in Rochester which features stone and brick mansions built around the turn of the century, picked it up and dropped it on the shores of Lake Ontario, and named it Summerville. It's been a real treat watching this series take shape out of what's available to anyone who just looks around and uses what they know.

Thanks for inviting me to your blog. I'm glad I came on board!

I love to hear from readers and other authors.

Due to a hyperactive imagination, Veronica Lynch uses the places she's traveled to over the years for the settings of many of her stories. Currently her faves include Western New York State in general, the shores of Lake Ontario in particular.

A recent vacation to Northern New York showed her the crystal pure water of the Saint Lawrence River and the wild beauty of the Thousand Islands—which might take over top spot on her list of choice settings.

www.KatHenry OR


Jannine Gallant said...

Sounds like all that hard work and life experience is paying off in your writing career. Congrats on your new releases!

Veronica Lynch Author said...

Thanks for stopping by, Jannine.
And congratulations to you for the wonderful Lonely Road to You. I love it!

Decadent Publishing said...

Hi Veronica...
Thanks for the great interview! So, whose little hand is on your shoulder? *grins*

Veronica Lynch Author said...

Dear *grins*
I think the picture was taken after soemone's confirmation and the 'little' hand is now all grown up with two little ones of her own. Sigh. It's a sad state of affairs when a woman must resort to a 20-something year-old picture for the only decent head shot, other than those from nursing school and/or the wedding photos--and those are pretty ancient.
Thanks for stopping by.