Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

GUEST BLOG: Ava Bleu

Somewhere Over My Rainbow…


Hello everyone and thank you to LASR for allowing me to guest on this lovely site.

I stressed big time over what to write for my first blog of my first tour for my first romance. It should say something about how I became a published author, right? It should encourage other aspiring writers, don’t you think? It should be enjoyable and meaningful and leave a lasting impression, yes?

No pressure there. :-)

I was sitting at my computer, stumped, when a beautiful jazz rendition of the classic “Somewhere over the Rainbow” broadcast through my speakers. I sat stock straight in my chair.

That’s my song. See, that song and I go way back. Before I ever saw The Wizard of OzI already had the song memorized because my family were the proud owners of the vinyl single AND a battered old white plastic record player to play it on. Jealous? I wore that little machine out playing me some Judy Garland. I felt divinely blessed to be able to lie back on my bed while that song transported me to the place where “blue birds fly…”

Of course, I believe the universe created that song just for me, just as I am certain my road to becoming a published author with its bumps, valleys and canyons has been the hardest road anyone has had to take … ever. I mean, I’ve been writing for years. I’ve had rejections that were so personal I had to cry and days when I doubted I could put two words together, let alone a book anyone would want to read. But my desire to get my book published was greater than my doubts about my writing. I knew getting published would be my rainbow.

A short while ago when I was discussing the layout of my website with the designer, I didn’t really know what I was looking for. Somehow she pulled enough information out of me when she emailed me the draft you can imagine how amazed and pleased I was that she had included my rainbow. We hadn’t even discussed rainbows. :-) It was kismet.

But I’ve had a couple of months of perspective … could be I’m wrong about the whole mine, mine, mine thing. Could be other people need the same jolt of hope that song provides. Could be others remember what it was like to put their first baby out into the publishing world. Could be others have had a rough road getting to their happy place, or even seeing it. Maybe my road hasn’t been the hardest, longest or toughest … it’s just been mine so it was the only one I could see.

So, in the event that one of you may need a little encouragement along your path, as a published author—thus expert—I can tell you you are not alone. You have a peer community of authors and an even wider net of people who love and support you (I’m talking about you, LASR!--*wink*). These people know the trials and tribulations you are going through and some of them are currently going through the same. It is possible to get published if that is truly your goal.

I can tell you all these things but if you’re anything like I was a year ago, you won’t be able to hear them. You may be hurting or doubting your skills or crying over a rejection that tore you up inside and these words sound as empty as a carton of ice cream after I’ve gotten to it (licked clean).

I guess I’ll do the only thing I can think that might put you at ease; I’ll tell you about your rainbow and this really great place where dreams come true… ‘cause you know that song was created just for you. Just lie back, close your eyes and I’ll hum a few bars…

See you when you get here.

Ava Bleu


Blurb

The Diva of Peddler’s Creek



African American romance novelist Taylor Beir will stop at nothing to get her mother off her back, including relocating to teach a little boy she’s never met how to read. But Christopher Doubleday doesn’t want to learn. Handsome older brother, Boyd, has an invisible stick up his backside. And she suspects sweet Mary and Jesse are trying transform her into the mythical “good girl” she’s never been; either by power of suggestion or bribing her with endless goodies from Mary’s kitchen.

Taylor may be down—and stuffed—but she’s not out. Someday the townspeople of Peddler’s Creek, West Virginia, will realize their hostility is misplaced and recognize her for the gentle, misunderstood soul she really is. And they will admit that Taylor Beir truly is the best thing to ever happen to their tiny, dirt road, middle-of-nowhere, backwater town of Peddler’s Creek, West Virginia … if they know what’s good for them.



The Diva of Peddler’s Creek is slated to release October, 2010, from The Wild Rose Press.

Ava Bleu lives and loves in the Midwest, countering bitter winters with smooth jazz and tasty edibles. A book-lover, author, artist and photographer, Ava believes creativity in any form is worth celebrating. She can be found in bookstores and the public library camped next to the cookbooks and/or on the town keeping an eye out for hero-material.

You can visit Ava at www.BooksbyAva.com or sign up at Facebook page, DIVAS UNITE, for information on contests, giveaways and tour dates.

6 comments:

Jane Richardson, writer said...

Just had to swing by after peeking at your book trailer - great post! Looks like 'the dreams that you dared to dream' really are coming true. :) Good luck!

Jane x

Ava Bleu said...

Will you be my friend for life?
Ava

Jane Richardson, writer said...

LOL sign here! ;-)

Jane x

vickiwe said...

Great post Ava. Congrats on your debut novel!

Victoria Wells

LaVerne Clark said...

What an enjoyable read Ava! You've set the standards high for your next stop on your blog tour : )

Thanks for sharing a part of your journey. The internal doubt we all suffer can be suffocating - I'm so glad you overcame yours! Congrats and roll on October!

Ava Bleu said...

Thanks, Victoria and LaVerne. Hope my novel and my blogs don't disappoint :-)
Ava