Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, August 9, 2010

GUEST BLOG: ANGELIQUE ARMAE

Crafting the Paranormal Hero from the Heroine’s View

My favorite type of hero is the alpha bad boy. Toss in a few magical powers, a tortured past, and a dark, dangerous setting, and I’m in heaven. But when I sat down to write my most recent novel, Shadows of the Soul, a paranormal romance featuring a demon huntress and a Prince of Hell, I was faced with a bit of a challenge when it came to creating my hero. I knew I wanted to write about angels, but to make them super sexy the white fluffy winged species was definitely out of the question. But so too was making them evil creatures that had fallen.

I solved the dilemma by creating Grigori who were born to a repented fallen angel father and a mortal mother. The hero of Shadows of the Soul is Nicolai Valentine, a prince of Hell who fights evil. His blood line is tied to both Heaven and Hell which gave me the perfect opportunity to create a tortured soul trapped between two ethereal worlds and the human realm. Nicolai deals with very real, very mortal problems (two brothers who don’t see the world the same as Nicolai, plus the loss of his young sons and wife) while also battling evil. He’s prince to a realm he’s fighting to destroy. I also had to show this character strictly through my heroine’s eyes as the book is written in first person from my heroine’s view.

I had a blast writing my heroine, Isabel Godfroie Heart. As a demon huntress trained in angelic warfare, Isabel is assigned to translate a series of ancient texts written in a language forbidden to my hero’s bloodline. Hidden within these texts is the antidote to a supernatural disease. A disease Nicolai accidentally unleashed on earth.

My heroine is faced with many challenges along the way, but the one she enjoys most is stripping away the layers of Nicolai’s soul, learning secrets she never imagined. In the process she also uncovered a few secrets of her own. Secrets that once learned change her world forever.

Writing my hero strictly from my heroine’s view was a task I’d love to repeat in a future book. It gave me an interesting view into my heroine’s world, to see the hero I created through her eyes only. It also allowed me to have a ton of fun with dialogue and character reactions, as these were the primary ways my heroine learned about my hero. It’s also the only way readers learn my hero.

What trait do you like most in a bad boy hero? In a fearless heroine?

Bio: Angelique Armae is a native New Yorker who's as zany as the city she grew up in. As a child her favorite toy was Emerald The Witch, a small doll with green eyes, green hair and purple skin.

Miss Armae's books and novellas have garnered numerous awards and nominations, including the Sapphire Award, P.E.A.R.L. Award and Word Weaving Award. Her books have also been featured on Midwest Book Review's Book Watch TV. Angelique's first novel, COME THE NIGHT, made Fictionwise's Best of the Best list, rounding out the top five best selling dark fantasy books of the year.

Aside from writing, Angelique also dabbles in digital art. She is the recipient and two time nominee of the Dream Realm Award for best cover art.

When not working, Ms. Armae enjoys traveling, learning about the ancient Celts, exploring history and learning new languages. Angelique studied history and French literature at Skidmore College.





No comments: