Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

GUEST BLOG: CHASTITY BUSH

First, I would like to thank Long and Short Reviews for hosting me today.

Is It Only Me?


For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Chastity Bush and I am the author of five published romance novels.

I love writing but I have found that since I started creating my own stories and characters, I have a bit of a problem when watching movies or reading books.

It seems that I have the story figured out before it even begins. My husband and I watched two movies this weekend and wouldn’t you know it, the movie had only been on maybe ten minutes and I knew what was going to happen.

I guess it is because I look at the movie/book and think, “This is what I would do if this were my story and these my characters.”

Although this burden ruins the movies/books for me, it does in a way remind me that my imagination is alive and well.

I am not sure if this happens to all writers or just me.

However, this is something that I hope other writers cannot do with my books. You see, I like to think that my stories and characters are completely original and something that people look at and say, “Wow! I didn’t see that coming!”

That, in my opinion, is the sign of a real writer. The ability to create something people can’t stop thinking about even when it is over. I am a huge fan of the True Blood series because of this. There has not been one single episode where I could say that I knew what was going to happen. The same goes with the television show Dexter.

These characters and situations are so original that I find myself, my imagination, working overtime to try and figure them out and still, it is not possible.

I have had aspiring writers tell me that they have submitted to publishers who claim they want something bold and new, that pushes the envelope and make the reader ask questions and yet, when they received their manuscript that does just that, they rejected it. The often ask me what they should do.

Now, I am not a publisher and have no interest in being on that side of the fence but I do think that before a pub posts something like this in their guidelines, they really need to take a look and ask themselves if this is something that they really want. After all, there are some authors out there who have a muse that works on overtime all of the time. Something that pushes the envelope for one, may step over the line for others.

The only advice that I can give these authors is to keep trying. What is big now may not be big tomorrow. What doesn’t work for one company may for another.

Enough of my ranting! I hope you all have enjoyed my opinion, because that is just what this is, my opinion. And if not, that’s all right too. If you would like to contact me you may do so at chastitybush@yahoo.com

Chastity Bush is the author of the Guard My Heart Series and three other published novels known for their spicy romance, suspense and humorous edge. She loves to spend time with her husband and their two daughters and is completely addicted to “Dexter” and “True Blood”.

Chastity loves to hear from her readers and can be contacted through her website at http://chastitybush.webs.com.

2 comments:

Ginger Simpson said...

Great blog, Chastity. And I love putting a face with the name. I enjoy twists and turns, and I often try to incorporate them in my writing, too. The problem with most TV movies these days...they ARE too predicable. I'm reviewing a novel right now that is exactly the same way and I'm bored because pages ahead, I know what's going to happen. :(

Mary H. Collins said...

Good blog Chas! You're right, I hate it when that happens. Lately I only get to chap 4 or 5 with most books, and hardly ever watch a movie any more.