Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010


Women’s Day

I woke up this morning thinking about the power and strength of a woman. Don’t get me wrong, we love our men and we’ll praise them on another blog (my newest release, A Taste of Love, has yummy strong men of character), but women, in my eyes, are nothing short of a miracle.

Take childbirth for example. The fact that this precious creature called woman can actually (with a little help from hubby) create a person. Stop and think about that for a moment. A woman can actually grow another human being inside her body. Although, I never had children, I am still completely awestruck by that process. It’s absolutely amazing!

Everyday women make sure families run smoothly and husbands’ needs are being met—all of them. It takes time, energy, craftiness and wisdom. And she does it with a smile on her face and usually without a thank you. She gives selflessly everyday so that her little ones can find peace and comfort on their journey. All the while dealing with raging hormones and PMS. And many of my friends do this while holding down a demanding job.

I have a friend whose typical day begins something like this—she’s up before dawn, putting the final touches on her presentation. She’s got coffee on, oatmeal in the bowl, a baby on the hip, and curlers in her hair. She helps her husband find his blue socks (since he’s color blind), rescues Spiderman from behind the sofa, and gets everyone ready before rushing upstairs to shower. She shaves her entire body in record time (little Jimmy will sneak in the bathroom and play in the toilet if she doesn’t) and gets dressed. She slips on her clothes and places her feet in high heeled shoes and hopes she’ll make it back home before they start to hurt. Then, she kisses her husband good bye before rushing out the door to the childcare provider and off to work.

And that’s just the start of her day.

It pains me when I see women who don’t understand who they are and what they’re capable of. No respect for themselves, no self-love, not realizing the gift they are to the world. TV reality shows are filled with these sleeping beauties. You can recognize them by their crying jags, abusive language, and self-objectification. It’s heart breaking. I hope one day they will come to know the value of the treasure within them.

Ladies, I celebrate your power and beauty, today. From the laundry room to the board room, you get the job done, every time.

It is a woman who nurtures children, takes care of the needs of others, and gives the world much needed insight and wisdom. It is a woman who submits the project on time. It is a woman who miraculously makes the family budget stretch again this month.

It is a woman’s love and dedication that makes the world a much better place.

Tonya Lampley is a Cincinnati based author. Her debut release is titled A Taste of Love. For more information please visit


Angela Kay Austin said...

Hi Tonya,

I enjoyed your post. Like yourself, I don't have children, but as I read your words several of my friends popped into my mind.

It is absolutely amazing how women take care of everyone, sometimes to the point of neglecting themselves.

For the reasons you mentioned, I avoid daytime television shows. But, like you I think one day women will begin to realize their worth. Sometimes fear, loneliness, sadness, and so many other things cloud our visions of ourselves.

Congratulations on your book release!


Tonya Lampley said...

Thanks for your comment Angela...congrats on your release as well!