Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, April 5, 2010

GUEST BLOG: EMMA LAI

I signed up to do a guest blog with Long and Short Romance before I knew what I would write. Seeking inspiration, I checked out my horoscope on January 31, 2010 at http://my.horoscope.com/astrology/free-daily-horoscope-virgo.html.

Now, I’m not claiming to be a believer in astrology, though I think truths can be found in many places. Take a look at the Virgo personality… http://my.horoscope.com/astrology/horoscope-sign-profile-virgo.html

Under Virgo Key Words, I found the following…

Strengths: Practical (I’m always thinking of everything that needs to be brought along on a trip just in case.)

Weakesses: Worry (It’s amazing I don’t have an ulcer. I worry about everything.)

Likes: Books (Oh, baby, do I!)

Dislikes: Taking center stage (Makes promo as an author difficult.)

My favorite by far is

Best environment. Virgo likes power and enjoys being the sidekick or indispensible assistant. (In a previous life (work life that is), I was a project manager…talk about power and when you only answer to one boss, you are the indispensible assistant.)

So what did my horoscope say?

Remember that there is a spirit in everything around you, Virgo. Just because we can't perceive something with our eyes, ears, nose, mouth, or fingers doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Pay respect to the force field that surrounds us, and to the animate and inanimate forms that exist in our everyday life.

I thought the horoscope was rather appropriate for the first book in my Mates of the Guardian series, His Ship, Her Fantasy, available from The Wild Rose Press.

Blurb:
Ellie Woods is in love…with a ship. When an argument with the ship results in a bump on the head, she finds herself in the strong arms of Alastair. But, who is he, and where did he come from?

Alastair has loved Ellie from afar for years, but duty has kept him from revealing himself to her. When a grave threat reveals his true identity, he hopes that Ellie will choose reality over fantasy.

A woman in love with a ship? At first glance, you might reject the notion that inanimate objects have spirit, but don’t you remember when your toys had lives? My Raggedy Ann doll was my best friend for a long time. Then, it was a child-size, stuffed toy fox my dad got for me. I also had a blanket I wouldn’t go anywhere without. Even as an adult, I have things I’m attached to. The quilt my favorite aunt had made for me. The quilt my grandmother made. Journals my husband and I kept for each other while we were apart.

I leave you with the following thought.

Keep your eyes, ears and heart open to everything around you. You never know where you’ll find inspiration or love.



Emma likes nothing more than a challenge. First,she tackled the male-dominated field of engineering. Next, she expanded her understanding of the world by studying international relations. Finally, her husband dared her to use her experience and knowledge and devote herself to writing. She accepted his challenge and has been writing ever since.

Writing keeps Emma sane. Her characters demand their stories be told and nag her incessantly until she complies. The characters are very insistent about her remaining faithful to their individual adventures. As a result, Emma writes a range of genres and levels of heat. She never knows what the next set of characters will demand!

No comments: