Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, December 25, 2009

GUEST BLOG: CYNTHIA OWENS

If You Ever Go Across the Sea To Ireland …

Those words from the song "Galway Bay" evoke a yearning to be by that lovely, salt-sprayed seaside. Having visited Galway this past summer, I can fully understand why.

The west of Ireland is filled with charm, and nowhere more than in Galway, where each year, on a Sunday in mid-August near the feast of the Assumption of Our Lady, a crowd gathers at the Claddagh pier for the ancient ceremonial blessing of Galway Bay and its fishermen.

It’s the start of the herring season, and it's traditional for the fisherfolk to ask the Lord’s blessing for a plentiful harvest, and ask His help in bringing them safely home after each voyage.

The ceremony itself is a simple one. Early in the morning, a fleet of boats gather in the Bay - currachs and the traditional Galway hookers - and at the pealing of a church bell, they form a circle around a boat carrying altar boys, a choir from the Galway Church, and a Dominican priest.

A passage from the Gospel of St. John is read:

'And he said unto them, cast your nets on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. And they cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes. And Simon went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, a hundred and fifty and three, and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.'

Following this, the Benedictite calls on all creation to give glory to God. Another gospel, this time from St. Luke, recalls the weariness and frustration of St. Peter:

'Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing; nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake. And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships.’

Another blessing asks God's mercy on the fisherfolk:

'We ask, O Lord, your mercy on us. Even as you multiplied five loaves and two fish to satisfy the hunger of five thousand, so now multiply for the use of the men the fish that are generated in these waters that we, experiencing your benevolence, may give thanks and praise in your Holy Name.'

At the end of the blessing, the white-robed priest calls on Mary, Star of the Sea:

'Mary, Star of the Sea, intercede for your children, and when they are tossed about among the storms and tempests of life, look to the star, and call upon Mary.'

The Magnificat is sung, and the sea is sprayed with holy water. The last action of this charming ceremony is a Sign of the Cross over the fishing fields, an appeal to God to bless them and the men who fish in them, as well as their boats, tackle, and their labors.

The blessing over, the boats will make a short circuit of the bay before heading homeward. While on the outward journey, hymns and the singing of the Rosary can be heard, on the way home group songs sound a lighter note, always including the singing of "Galway Bay."

Today, trawlers have replaced the black, brown-sailed hookers in the bay, but the traditional Galway fishing boats still play an important part of the pageantry of the blessing of the Bay.

I believe I was destined to be interested in history. One of my distant ancestors, Thomas Aubert, reportedly sailed up the St. Lawrence River to discover Canada some 26 years before Jacques Cartier’s 1534 voyage. Another relative was a 17th Century “King’s Girl,” one of a group of young unmarried girls sent to New France as brides for the settlers there.

My passion for reading made me long to write books like the ones I enjoyed, and I tried creating sequels to my favorite Nancy Drew mysteries. Later, fancying myself a female version of Andrew Lloyd Weber, I drafted a musical set in Paris in WWII.

A former journalist and lifelong Celtophile, I enjoyed a previous career as a reporter/editor for a small chain of community newspapers before returning to my first love, romantic fiction. My stories usually include an Irish setting, hero or heroine, and sometimes all three. My first novel, In Sunshine or in Shadow, set in post-Famine Ireland, is still available from Highland Press. Its sequel, Coming Home, will be released from HP soon.


I am a member of the Romance Writers of America, Hearts Through History Romance Writers, and Celtic Hearts Romance Writers. I am a lifelong resident of Montreal, Canada, where I still live with my own Celtic hero and my two school-aged children.

7 comments:

robynl said...

is that ever neat about your relatives and their discoveries; I've never heard of 'King's Girl' before this.
Now visiting Ireland would even be better after your encounter of Galway Bay. Thanks for the info.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Virginia C said...

"In Sunshine or in Shadow" from "Danny Boy"...so beautiful and haunting! I loved your post on Galway Bay. The power of ancient Ireland still beckons!

gcwhiskas at aol dot com

debbie haupt said...

I love all things Irish, especially Irish romance historic or otherwise, there must be some Irish blood somewhere in this German's ancestry.
Thanks for the article.
Deb

Sherry Gloag said...

We honeymooned in Ireland, travelling in a 'genuine' horse-drawn gypsy caravan. It was magical!

Michelle Kafka said...

Thanks for the insight on Ireland. My oldest daughter enjoys Celt music as my kids are Irish and Scottish. Happy holidays!

Jennifer Johnson said...

One of my favorite prayers is this.
O Lord, be kind. The sea is so big, and my boat is so small.

sherry said...

Thank you for such a wonderful post on Ireland. I love the music and everything that I know about them. I would love to visit there someday.